AFL NSWACT is committed to growing opportunities for females to participate in AFL and in this section of the web page you will find a variety of information to show you how. Women and girls from the ages of five to 50 can get involved in Australia’s game and we encourage you to explore the website to find a suitable option for you.
There are approximately 12,000 young girls playing Auskick across NSW and the ACT. Auskick is a great game for girls aged 5-9 years to learn about AFL and have fun making new friends. To find your nearest club please go to www.aflauskick.com.au to find your nearest centre.
Junior Football provides opportunities for boys and girls to play AFL in a local club environment together from the ages of 10-14. Competition levels increase with age to continue to develop player skills.
Youth Girls competitions are female specific competitions aimed at introducing new players to AFL and continuing the pathway for females aged 13 to 18 years. NSW and the ACT have numerous Youth Girls Competitions.
Greater Sydney Juniors Youth Girls Competition has two divisions.
- 14 and under has a core focus of participation and introduction into AFL for girls who have not played before.
- U18 competition transitions the girls to full field, full rules AFL
AFL Canberra Youth Girls
- U18 division caters for all levels of footballers and the league encourages girls to come along and give it a go. For more information on the league please go to www.seeyouatthefooty.com.au
Newcastle Junior AFL – Youth Girls
- 2014 inaugural Youth Girls Competition commenced for girls 15 and under. The modified rules allow for new participants in the game with a key focus on development and fun. For more information please go to www.newcastljuniorafl.com.au
Central Coast Junior AFL - Youth Girls
- Into its second year the Central Coast Youth Girls competitions continues to expand and grow the game for girls. An U18s competition the league welcomes any new participant to come along and learn the game. For more information please go to www.centralcoastjunirorsafl.com.au
AFL NSW/ACT has three women’s leagues operation across the state and Territory with AFL Sydney, AFL Canberra and AFL Broken Hill running home and away weekly competitions. Females aged 16 and above are encouraged to contact their nearest club and give the game a go.
With 9 teams based in Canberra and the Riverina Lions in Wagga Wagga, AFL continues to grow and engage more women in the competition. The season traditionally commences in April however clubs are welcoming of players all year round. .
AFL Sydney Women consists of 16 teams competing across two divisions with teams representing Penrith, Gosford, Wollongong and many suburbs in between. Traditionally the season commences in April however clubs are always welcoming of new participants looking to try the game.
AFL NSWACT also encourages females to get involved is AFL as administrators, coaches, umpires and sports trainers.
For further information please contact:
Female Programs Manager – NSW/ACT
02 8333 8032