Australian Football is growing in NSW and the ACT. We aim to build strong young leaders by giving them the opportunity to participate and learn new skills in all aspects in life and to then take these skills back to their communities and share their knowledge.
Indigenous Programs in NSW/ACT support the national AFL Indigenous Framework which states:
"The AFLís commitment to acknowledge, recognise, develop communities and progress reconciliation will be administered through our Indigenous Framework and our Indigenous Programs"
"We are committed to working in partnership with Indigenous people and other stakeholders to improve:
- Health and participation outcomes for Indigenous people and their communities at a local level"
Our programs aim to:
- Increase participation
- Identify and offer pathways for talented Indigenous players
- Develop relationships with community leaders, Elders, representative organisations, government and Indigenous media to promote Australian football
- Introduce Indigenous people to AFL through game visitation or sampling and events
- Assist community clubs to be culturally aware and embracing of Indigenous protocols
- Employ Indigenous staff wherever possible